Why Choose Us?
Find out more about ways we can help you lose weight and improve your overall health. The Chicago Center for Bariatric Surgery at Westlake Hospital provides patients suffering from morbid obesity with the treatment options and support they need to lose excess weight and keep it off.
Our program meets the highest standards for safety, care and results. We are here to offer you:
- The confidence that comes from working with recognized experts - our surgeon and medical director, Dr. Frederick M. Tiesenga, has performed more than 1000 bariatric surgery procedures.
- Access to a multidisciplinary team of experts - our staff includes board-certified surgeons and physicians, as well as a bariatric coordinator, clinical psychologist and registered dietitian.
- The safety and support of a full-service hospital - your surgery will be performed in one of Westlake Hospital state-of-the-art surgical suites, with an array of specialists and advanced technology close at hand. Plus, our staff is trained to handle the most challenging and complex situations.
- A record of excellence - our bariatric program has a track record of providing excellent outcomes and outstanding patient care.
- A simple, streamlined process - our team guides you through each step of the process, from online seminar registration to postoperative care and follow-up for life.
- Equipment that accommodates larger patients - our facility has furniture and equipment that is comfortable for patients.
- Long-term support and follow-up - our caring staff gives you the support and encouragement you need to succeed. We are committed to caring for you the rest of your life.
During Your Hospital Stay
Your stay at Westlake Hospital will depend on which procedure you and your surgeon chose as a tool to help you lose weight. With Gastric Bypass, there is a 2-3 day hospital stay. The Gastric Sleeve, LAP-BAND and SILS LAP-BAND procedures are less-invasive, and patients can either go home the same day of surgery or stay overnight.
All patients will have surgery in our state-of-the-art surgical suites and be carefully monitored during the postoperative phase while they wake up from anesthesia. Advantages of the laparoscopic approach include reduced postoperative pain, shorter hospital stay and a faster return to work (2-3 weeks). You will be given detailed instructions on what and how much to eat. Pain is usually mild and controlled easily by pain medication. Nurses, dietitians, radiologists and staff surgeons will all be monitoring you closely. Your physical activity will be conservative but we will ask you to take short walks while in our care.
We are committed to you and your weight loss journey and therefore our team does everything possible to ensure that you have a comfortable stay. Sign up for a seminar or call (708) 763-6398 for more information.
After Your Surgery
In our experience, consistent follow-up care is essential to losing excess weight and keeping it off for the rest of your life. That is why we request that you meet regularly with our bariatric team. These support services are extremely valuable in helping you achieve and maintain your goals. Based on our experience, it is not uncommon for patients to lose between 40 and 60 pounds in the first two to three months after surgery. In fact, most patients begin to lose weight within the first few weeks of surgery.
Patients will follow up with the surgeon regularly during the first year, and annually after that. How well you maintain your diet and exercise regime will determine your success in maintaining a healthy weight. Our staff will monitor your weight frequently and provide important dietary and exercise counseling. We welcome your questions and are ready to support you throughout this lifelong journey.
In addition to weight loss, bariatric surgery also will help you improve your overall health. We often see the elimination of many weight-related illnesses such as sleep apnea, diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol in our bariatric surgery patients. Nearly all patients report a significant improvement in their quality of life after surgery.
We encourage all of our patients (and others!) to attend our support groups for dietary, exercise and psychological support. Request more information or call (708) 763-6398 to find out when the next session will be held.