Westlake Hospital is committed to helping the communities we serve to maintain healthy lives at home. Our Community Health Education Center helps us in our mission of community outreach by offering a variety of free education materials that community members are welcome to stop by, pick up and take home.
Throughout the year, we also provide health programs in both English and Spanish that are designed for a variety of age groups. The Community Health Education Center also offers health screenings and other special events periodically.
Learn more about services offered through the Community Health Education Center by calling (708) 938-7511
March 2017 Events
Westlake Hospital is proud to offer the following events in March! Please click on any of the titles below for a printable flyer.
- Senior Center Event Calendar: A complete list of March 2017 events offered through our Senior Center.
- Senior Assistance Program: “HELP!! These forms are driving me crazy!” Whether you need information about local, state and national resources important to older adults and their families or you need to talk to someone about personal safety concerns and problems, help is available from the professional staff of Solutions for Care. Staff members can also assist with questions regarding Medicare and recent changes to Medicare benefits.
- Benefit Access Enrollment: Have you just turned 65 or are you a person with disabilities and income less than $27,610? If so, you may be eligible to receive transportation assistance.
- Cardiovascular Disease: Join Imad Ahmado, MD for a discussion on cardiovascular disease, risk factors, symptoms, and screening.
- Care Coordination Program: Medicare works with health care providers to give people coordinated, comprehensive care while avoiding unnecessary duplication of services and preventing medical errors. Join Professional Staff from Solutions for Care to understand care coordination programs and you may benefit from such programs.
- Celebrating March Birthdays: Each month the Westlake Senior Center will cut a cake in honor of all the Senior Center members who celebrate their birthdays in that month. If your birthday is in March, join us as we celebrate you and your life. Bring a friend.
- FREE Glucose Screenings: Glucose screening requires a finger stick that yield results of your glucose level within one minute of testing. An eight-hour fast is recommended, however, screening can be conducted without fasting.
- Healthy Food Choices for Health Aging: Our bodies change as we age and so do many of our nutrition needs. Join Jennifer Allington, MS, RDN, LDN, Registered Dietician from the West Cook YMCA and learn what to eat, what nutrients may be of particular concern and whether supplements are right for you!
- Learning Cafe: Understanding Diabetes: Diabetes is the 7th leading cause of death in the United States. Yet, so many of us do not know or understand the basic facts about this disease that affects so many of our friends and family members. Learn more.
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP): For many Illinois households, energy costs place a severe and continuing stress on a senior’s budget. The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is designed to help eligible low income households pay for winter energy service. Professional Staff from Solutions for Care will be available to help individuals determine their eligibility for LIHEAP and to complete applications.
- Physical Barriers to Intimacy: Join Alan Sadah, M.D., Urologist in a discussion to explore potential solutions to overcoming medical barriers in relationships.
- Senior Freeze Exemption: The Senior Freeze Exemption allows qualified senior citizens to apply for a freeze of the equalized assessed value (EAV) of their properties for the year preceding the year in which they first apply and qualify for this exemption. Professional Staff from Solutions for Care can assist you in completing the Senior Freeze Exemption application form.